Monday, August 30, 2010

I think I'll go to Boston....

.."I think I'll start a new life. I think I need a new town to leave this all behind..."
 

Katalina, my younger sister, is moving back to Boston and I can't stop playing out sappy lyrics in my mind. The other being Cat Stevens, "Wild World"


"..Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world. It' s hard to get by just upon a smile...But if you wanna leave take good care. Hope you make a lot of nice friends out there. But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware..."


I know she'll be happier in Boston. Her boyfriend is in Boston and it ain't like she's got much going on here in Maryland and I don't even live in Maryland yet but I want to and I was hoping she'd be here when I finally made my way back. Katalina went to school to Boston and as a recent grad the job market has been dismal to say the least.

So when she finally got a decent job offer I should've been excited and I was but I wasn't. I know she needs to start a real job, start building that resume but I still cried a little. My mom is truly a good person because I know she doesn't want her to go either but being the good woman she is she prayed fervently during her interview hoping she'd get the job. I'm not gonna try to stop her from going but I sure as heck ain't gonna PRAY for her to get the job that's miles and miles away.

I came across this photograph helping Katalina pack. And being the sentimental freak I am it kinda makes my chest feel full just looking at it and I feel the need to hold back tears.  It's Katalina as a baby and my Dad.



I love this picture I love how in so many of the baby pictures my mom and dad aren't looking into the camera but watching us and so their gaze on us is captured. Seeing my Dad so young and his look of pure love as he looks at his little baby while holding her up makes my heart swell and I find it so symbolic as Kath is about to leave and move out on her own.

I don't have kids but I imagine the love I feel for Kath is kinda what having kids is like. Maybe it's the age difference, maybe it's because she's my little sister....

But I am feeling very jealous of Boston right now... 

No comments:

Post a Comment