Tuesday, September 21, 2010

holiday

I just witnessed the most incredible break-down from a four-year-old. At least I think she was four or around that age. But let me tell you buddy this girl was fierce for a little person.

I was heading to the store to pick up some last minute things for our European holiday that starts in about seven hours and there was an otherwise totally adorable little brown-haired girl WAILING at the top of her lungs. I mean screaming. This little girl was angry and only getting angrier as her poor mom tried to restrain her and in her best effort remain in control despite the fact that her daughter is causing a holy raucous on 70th and West End.

All I could think was what the "f" would I do? And secondly, "man that woman looks friggin great for having a kid." I wish I looked like that now and I don't even have kids although I did not envy her on the ground trying to keep her daughter running away into the traffic.

But I can relate to this little girl. She doesn't WANT TO CALM DOWN. Which is what the little girl kept wailing back at her poor mom. And I can understand. I'm in a cranky mood and irritable and not the way I imagined feeling hours before a trip of a lifetime.

I keep telling myself to stop being being angry but sometimes I CAN'T STOP BEING MAD. 

I'm irritated because I feel unprepared for this trip. I didn't do enough research. I don't have reservations lined up for our anniversary dinner. It would've been nice to do a cooking class in Paris or at least managed to learn some key phrases in French.

And I had to go to work today and it's a really bad idea to start a new job and after 2 weeks go on vacation for two weeks. They told me it would be ok but it's really not.

I'm irritated that my husband already has the layout of every city we are visiting down pat whereas I can't even remember what avenue the sandwich shop down the street is on.

I'm irritated that my mother-in-law will probably feel the need to call us at the hotels because she HAS to talk to her almost 40 year old son every friggin day or even worse that my husband will buy a calling card right away to call her thus enabling her neurotic behavior.

I'm irritated that all this bothers me.

I sure wish I had time to have gotten that pedicure. 

au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment