Sunday, November 7, 2010

fantasy confession

It took today's winner of the NYC Marathon 2 hours, 8 minutes and 14 seconds to run 26 miles. Let's think about this people-TWENTY-SIX miles.  That's a lot of miles to run let alone walk. I think I'm doing good if I get two miles on the treadmill in twenty-five MINUTES.

I am in awe of these marathon runners and it's a big deal in our household. Not that either of us have ever run a marathon but ever since I moved to New York the hubs and I have always checked out the marathon.

I love it-not really the race part but the cheering part. I love the moment when friends and family members spot their marathon runner and go crazy and start jumping up and down with their signs of encouraging words or even better and this is my favorite-there's a cute baby involved and the baby is thrust up and down in the air while marathon runner runs by grinning from ear to ear. LOVE IT.

I should also mention that I have a secret fantasy of scoring the winning goal in the Women's World Cup. (No, I don't play soccer)

Remember this moment?

Ok, in my fantasy I do not take my jersey off.

Also, I have different versions of my fantasy. And it's not always soccer. Sometimes it's tennis. (No, I do not play tennis)

Sometimes, I jump in the air immediately with my arms in the air, other times I collapse to the floor because I am SO exhausted and of course, in disbelief because I am a humble athlete not a cocky one.

But always there is the celebratory hug-which is why I seem to prefer the soccer fantasy because there's other teammates involved to hug. 

I will always watch the end of the world series with my husband and no, I don't play or even really enjoy baseball but it's oh so worth it when the team finally wins and they all run out to the field and hug and jump and good lord don't you just feel the love.

I swear in my next life I'm going to be the next Mary Lou Retton.

No comments:

Post a Comment