Thursday, December 16, 2010

I feel bad about my neck too....

Just like Nora Ephron, I feel bad about my neck.



I was lured to Borders because there was a 50% off coupon with today being the last day of the coupon and my sister needed me to pick up a gift. Of course,  I was attracted to the title since I am still dealing with my neck and scar acceptance issues plus the book is really bright and yellow...ANYWAY..

I read the first essay about her neck in the store and could totally relate. I ALMOST bought the book. Almost but did not. (I can talk myself out of just about any purchase. It is a gift that I sure do hope my husband appreciates and a gift that I wish would rub off my sister, Christy and Julie too)  But the coupon was for just ONE item and since I already had to buy Kathy's gift and is the book REALLY worth $13.99....ANYWAY

First of all, I'm tired of wearing scarves. And this has only been the first week that I've gone back to work and faced the real world. I like scarves, I know they make a nice accessory and can be cute and trendy but EVERYDAY?  Plus, I have a color problem. Here's a quick shot of my small but growing scarf collection.


Notice how they all seem to fall into the dark, fuchsia pink family. I've always been drawn to that color whether it be on my toes or my walls. But I can't wear this everyday. Sure it may be a new scarf but what do I wear underneath. I have one basic black sweater, people.  And then you got the white scarf, which has come in handy.

And turtlenecks. Come on people say the word out loud. T.U.R.T.L.E.N.E.C.K.  Sure sounds young, hip and sexy, huh? I tried to go shopping for turtlenecks and I don't think turtlenecks are in this season.  Don't get my wrong, I like a good, chunky, warm turtleneck sweater and can actually pull it off but I can't find ANY!  The one at Ann Taylor Loft was too long, the sales lady told me it didn't come in petite and no, just because the other girls are wearing long sweaters over their leggings/jeggins does not mean that look is going to look right on ME!

I still haven't seen my scar. It's still covered with those strip thingies. I rushed home because I knew I would have the apartment to myself for a while and I want to be alone when I take the strips off.

I stood in the bathroom, stared at my neck and talked myself out of it.

Technically, the "Incision Care Instructions for Thyroidectomy/Parathyroidectomy" plainly states in black and white, "The tape strips across the the incision provide support during the healing process and must not be removed for three weeks."  Well..technically it hasn't been three weeks. Tomorrow will be three weeks... granted a few lines later it says "After the strips begin to separate from the skin you may gently remove them after soaking in nail polish remove with a q-tip." And yea, the strips are beginning to separate but I'll wait at least one more day.

1 comment: