Monday, December 6, 2010

Too Sensitive?

Most of the time I would say my husband is truly a thoughtful and sensitive person. But sometimes he too shows a not so nice color....like on Saturday night...but it got me thinking if maybe I am TOO sensitive.

So you know we're a big netflix couple...we prefer to watch movies and tv shows at home instead of spending a ridiculous amount of money going to the movies but lately we haven't been too sure of what to put in the queue. We're all caught up with Entourage and Mad Men and haven't gotten into any new shows. So I was absent-mindly going through new releases and saw "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." 

I haven't read the book but haven't been living under a rock...I would always see folks on the train with the book and knew and it was a best-seller. Plus I remember seeing a review for it in a cab when it came out in the theatres and the movie review guy seemed to dig it...  So I added it to the queue.

I was a little aprehensive because I do not like violent or scary movies but do understand that if I limited myself to violent-free movies I'd miss out on the majority of movies with good story lines and plots and thus only watch pitiful romantic comedies. So I figured let's give it a go.

Ok, I had NO IDEA WHAT I WAS GETTING MYSELF INTO. 

Yes, it was a good movie in terms of suspense and plot I suppose-I totally get why it was a best-seller but I can't HANDLE these kind of movies.

Violence is one thing. Like I could totally handle "Inglourious Basterds" another good movie. It was violent but satirical and you can easily close your eyes during the really bad scenes but "the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" totally different ball game. 

Two words. Sexual violence.  Here are two other words for you. CAN'T HANDLE.

There were some really explicit scenes in this movie which I will not go into detail but they were HORRIBLE. The first scene was bad but I sat through it...the next one was much more violent and I got upset. I get that it has to do with the plot and character building and blah blah blah but on a Saturday night when you are watching a movie to be entertained no SCRATCH THAT...under no circumstances can I think of any desire to sit down and willingly watch a woman be abused in such a horrible and disgusting manner.

So anyway I got upset-told hubs I can't watch this..can you at least fast forward it..and yes we have a really bad remote and he gets frustrated using it but he GOT ANNOYED WITH ME!  Can you believe it? The remote of course didn't respond because it never does and I got up to leave the room.  Annoyed that he's annoyed and not moving fast enough in MY opinion to get this horrible scene out of my living room I snippily (is that a word) say, "can you at least turn the volume down."

AND THEN HE RESPONDED, "it's just a movie" in like a really huffy puffy voice.

Are you kidding me??? Great I thought now we're going to get in a fight because now it my duty as a woman and as a wife to set him straight.

Yes, it's a movie but hello it's a rape scene and violence against women is real and happens and HE SHOULD BE MORE SENSITIVE.

From the bathroom I calmly told him he should've taken a women's study classs in college instead of learning how to play golf and tennis and started spewing out things I remembered from my women's studies class.

He got the remote to work and I could tell he felt really bad and so we moved on. I ended up watching the rest of the movie but it was definitely violent and we had to watch two episodes of "The Office" on the laptop in bed afterwards to try to shake off the dark movie. I would not recommend to anyone and would be curious to see what other women's take on the movie is.

Am I too sensitive?

A few years ago, traveling for work I was stuck at the airport and decided to buy a book. I decided to pick up "Lovely Bones" because it said best seller on it and I had seen a few people reading it lately. Figured it was good. Again-HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS GETTING MYSELF INTO.  I remember distinctly, the girl at the check out gushed over the book, said it was soo good.

Um....the book opens with violent rape scene and murder of  A LITTLE GIRL. I felt sick to my stomach. I finished the book and could appreciate it but would never had picked it up had I known what it was really about. I guess literary folks smarter than me would give me some spiel about it being about the characters and their response to loss..but don't want to read through a girl suffering that way.

I've never been the victim of violence-sexual or otherwise...(and I am dearly thankful for that) but seem to be super sensitive to this stuff.

Clearly other people can get past these violent scenes to appreciate the book or the movie. Remember it was a woman that gushed about the book to me. And there's a whole TV show dedicated to solving "sexually based offenses" that apparently is a big hit; "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit"

During my overnight stay at the hospital last week I shared a room with an older woman. We spoke briefly through the curtain that separated us and even though I was there less than 24 hours could tell she was a very kind lady. Well this kind lady watched nothing but Law and Order: SVU.  She loved it and maybe the nurse was just making small talk but she seemed to be a fan too. All I could to myself is why on earth would you want to watch such a dark program...isn't being in a hospital BAD ENOUGH?

Clearly, other people can handle this kind of stuff. I'd hate to think that I am some naive woman that only wants to see the world through rose-colored glasses. I get that bad, ugly things happen out there and I pray that those bad, ugly things stay far away from me and my loved ones. But I for one am looking forward to watching the next movie in our queue...."Diary of a Wimpy Kid."

1 comment:

  1. right there with you......I remember trying to read John Grisham's A Time to Kill and it opens with a similar violent scene and Mauricio and I started watching Sin Nombre and it was too disturbing for me, why waste your time on stuff you don't enjoy. I get that some people find it fascinating or interesting. I can appreciate a good crime drama but I dont need it to be so graphic!

    ReplyDelete